Successfully Promoting a Cause
Did you know? As much as 82% of consumers would recommend a brand that supports a good cause, according to the National Breast Cancer Foundation, Inc. This number is up from 64% in 2009 — and it’s a lot! Whether your company gets involved in breast cancer awareness or another worthy community endeavor, supporting and promoting a charitable cause is a great way to give back. Not only will it raise funds or help people in need, but it will also convey that your business values much more than just the bottom line.
So here’s to getting started! Choose a charity or cause that matters to you, and consider a number of ways to promote it:
- Have an office color day: This doesn’t have to be anything elaborate, but it can really get people excited for showing their support in a visual way. Did you choose heart disease awareness as your cause? Have everyone wear red on a designated day, or give everyone a red ribbon to pin on their shirt. If you have customers in the office, they just might be inspired by your initiative!
- Make a monetary donation: Encourage employees to give financially to the cause, with incentives or prizes for those who give during a campaign period. To ensure all can get involved, vary the prizes by giving levels so everyone is motivated to give and feels their giving makes a difference.
- Offer to volunteer your time: Is there a 5K run/walk coming up, with proceeds going to heart disease research or blood transfusions? Consider volunteering as a staff member for the event with a group of co-workers — or get involved as a participant. Sometimes what people want even more than financial help is knowing that people care.
- Reach out to those affected: It can be easy to promote a cause without actually seeing the effects firsthand. In the case of heart disease awareness, arrange to visit a local hospital of heart disease patients so you can let them know you’re rooting for them. You could also send a get well card and balloons for post-surgery patients you know. Your thoughtfulness is sure to go a long way.
- Use promotional products: Using promotional items is one of the best ways to get a message out there, especially when it comes to sharing a specific cause. It’s cost effective and provides the exposure you’re seeking — often while being a lot of fun. Plus, there are so many options: ibuprofen, lip balm, hand sanitizer, and more!
Whatever the cause you choose, we hope you’re able see how rewarding it is to show your company support!